Up to $100 million has been allocated from the Provincial Growth Fund to provide significant levels of funding (80-100%) for fencing of waterways and associated works such as culverts, causeways, riparian planting and stock water reticulation. Please note this excludes erosion control.
The proposals are expected to create employment for vulnerable groups that are most likely affected by unemployment due to COVID-19.
- Are well-established with a strong governance structure and are able to sign a contract as a legal entity;
- Have the support of the relevant Regional Council, and – preferably – the Department of Conservation;
- Have a credible works plan and be in a good position to start undertaking works in 2020, and the 2021/22 planting seasons;
- Be able to show or articulate a catchment plan and or strategy that demonstrates a cohesive programme of work showing impact and scale;
- Create job opportunities for people affected by Covid-19;
- Show, where possible, demonstrated experience in engagement with Maori and the wider community, recognizing the economic, social and cultural outcomes of these groups; and
- Benefit multiple landowners.
Potential projects will be approved based on the following three criteria: immediate job creation, timeframe for construction activity and degree of visibility to the community.