The Government has updated the sectors where COVID-19 vaccinations are mandatory for workers.
Government vaccination mandates continue to apply for:
- Health and disability sector workers (includes aged care workers)
- Prison staff
- Border and MIQ workers
Government vaccination mandates are no longer in force for
- New Zealand Police workers
- New Zealand Defence Force workers
- Early childhood and schooling education workers
- Workers at food and drink services, events, close proximity services and indoor exercise facilities like gyms
- Work at tertiary education premises
If a business or workplace is not covered by a government vaccination mandate, an employer can determine what controls can be supported by a work health and safety risk assessment or in relation to third party access requirements. This may include requiring work be done only by vaccinated workers.